Take Action to Prevent Arrears!

Customers who are claiming Universal Credit must take action to notify the DWP of their rent increase to prevent falling into arrears.

Universal Credirt

22 March 2018

Under the new benefit, it is the claimant’s responsibility to notify DWP of their new rent charge and is no longer the responsibility of their landlord. Claimants cannot update their rent charge until the change has taken place and so the change must be notified on the 2nd April 2018.

If a Universal Credit claimant doesn’t tell the DWP that they have a new rent charge, they will continue to be paid at the old rate. This won’t cover the rent charge and so there is a chance that customers will fall into arrears.

We are here to help customers with this change and urge those affected to get in touch with us. The process is simple and we can talk you through it over the telephone, face to face at one of our offices or via our digital support team, Future Skills.

Don’t suffer in silence, call us today!


How will I know what my new rent charge is?

You will have received a letter from us that details what your new charge/s are. Don’t worry if you have misplaced the letter, you can call us to find out your new charge.

How do I notify the DWP of my new rent?

Access Universal Credit Account with username and password here

When in Universal Credit account click on HOME tab at the top

Then click on REPORT A CHANGE and then click on HOUSING on the right hand side

You will be asked when did the change occur from which will be 02/04/18 and continue to complete details of new housing costs.  Please note when inputting a £0.00 service charge you will also need to change the frequency to weekly

You will need our full address when completing your rent increase

  • River Clyde Homes, 102-112 Roxburgh Street, Greenock PA15 4JT

Please call 0800 013 2196 if you have any queries or email us at universal.credit@riverclydehomes.org.uk

When should I tell the DWP?

You need to tell the DWP on, or as soon as possible after, the 2nd April 2018 as this is when your new charge takes effect from. You only have 14 days to process this change or you will lose out so we recommend you set yourself a reminder to do it on the 2nd April.

What will happen if I don’t tell DWP?

They will continue to pay your Housing Costs at your old rent charge. This will not then cover your full entitlement and you risk falling into arrears which may put your tenancy at risk.

How can I get help?

There are a number of ways that you can get in contact with us for help:

Call us on 0800 013 2196, we’re here 24 hours per day, 7 days per week

Visit us at our Customer Hub at Clyde Square or Broomhill. We’re there Mon-Thur 9-4.45 and Friday 9-4

Drop into Job Centre Plus and see our Future Skills staff, they are available:

  • Monday 3pm-4pm
  • Tuesday 11am-12
  • Wednesday 3pm-4pm
  • Thursday 3pm-4pm
  • Friday 11am-12

Email us on welfare.benefits@riverclydehomes.org.uk